The US Department of Justice says delivering insights about the warrant used to strike Donald Trump’s Florida home last week could cause “hopeless harm” to its examination.
It needs to keep the testimony, a court record showing the proof expected to get the warrant, hush.
FBI specialists looked through Mar-a-Lago to see whether Mr Trump inappropriately dealt with government records when he left office.
It was whenever an ex-president’s first home was struck in a lawbreaker test.
Eleven arrangements of characterized documents were recuperated from the hunt multi week prior at the bequest in Palm Beach, as per the warrant, which was delivered on Friday.
Presently, a few news associations have applied to have the sworn statement unlocked.
FBI cautions of expanded dangers after Trump search
Yet, investigators said on Monday that such a move would
“make critical and unsalvageable harm this continuous criminal examination”.
“Whenever unveiled, the oath would act as a guide to the public authority’s continuous examination, giving explicit insights concerning its heading and possible course, in a way that is almost certain to think twice about analytical advances,”
they wrote in a court recording.
They likewise said the affirmation should remain fixed in light of the fact that the request includes
“profoundly ordered materials”.
On Monday, Mr Trump said the FBI took three of his passports during the raid – a step that would ordinarily only be taken if investigators deemed a suspect a flight risk.
“This is an assault on a political opponent at a level never seen before in our Country. Third World!” Mr Trump posted on his social media platform, Truth Social.
A law enforcement source later confirmed to CBS News – the BBC’s US partner – that passports belonging to Mr Trump had been taken by investigators on 8 August.
In an email from the justice department to Mr Trump’s team, an official said: “We have learned that the filter agents seized three passports belonging to President Trump, two expired and one being his active diplomatic passport” – and that they had been made available for pickup on Monday.
US media reports suggest the passports have now been returned.
The FBI search has triggered an angry backlash from Trump allies, with many demanding the affidavit be publicly unveiled.
Republican Senator Mike Rounds told NBC on Sunday:
“The justice department should show that this was not just a fishing expedition, that they had due cause to go in and to do this, that they did exhaust all other means.”
Congressman Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican, told Fox News that 14 FBI agents had come forward to him to blow the whistle on purported politicisation at the justice department.
Search warrants typically must be signed off by a judge, once prosecutors have demonstrated they have probable cause to believe a crime has been committed.
The warrant used in the Trump raid was made public on Friday – a highly unusual move during a criminal investigation, which Attorney General Merrick Garland said was down to
“substantial public interest”.
In Monday’s court filing, prosecutors cited threats against the FBI as another reason to keep the affidavit from public view.
“Information about witnesses is particularly sensitive given the high-profile nature of this matter and the risk that the revelation of witness identities would impact their willingness to co-operate with the investigation,”
said the court filing.
The FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a memo on Friday night to law enforcement around the country noting an
“increase in violent threats posted on social media against federal officials”.