Sports

ON PHIN ICE: Miami Dolphins honcho fires back at volatile lawsuit from fired coach

ON PHIN ICE: Miami Dolphins honcho fires back at volatile lawsuit from fired coach

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has broken his silence over the allegations against him and the organization in a lawsuit filed by erstwhile coach Brian Flores.

In the suit, concentrated on claimed prejudicial hiring practices in the NFL, Flores as well says he was offered a bonus of $100,000 per game by Ross to tank games during his tenure as coach. Flores coached the Dolphins for three seasons and went 24-25 before being fired following a 9-8 campaign in 2022.

Ross privately pushed back against Flores’ claims in a statement released late Wednesday night following the Dolphins had already said they

“vehemently deny any allegations of racial discrimination.”

“With regards to the allegations being made by Brian Flores, I am a man of honor and integrity and cannot let them stand without responding,”

Ross said. “I take great personal exception to these malicious attacks, and the truth must be known. His allegations are false, malicious and defamatory.

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is firing back after the explosive lawsuit from ex-coach Brian Flores.
AP

Brian Flores’ bombshell lawsuit accuses the NFL of racism in hiring coaches.
CBS

“We understand there are media reports stating the NFL intends to investigate his claims, and we will cooperate fully. I welcome the investigation and I am eager to defend my personal integrity, and the integrity of the entire Miami Dolphins organization, from these baseless, unfair and disparaging claims.”

Flores as well claims Ross coerced him to enlist a notable quarterback in contravention of NFL rules in the winter of 2020. That quarterback was Tom Brady, as stated by the Palm Beach Post.

Brian Flores was hired by the Dolphins in 2019 and shockingly fired last month.
AP

“[T]he writing had been on the wall since Mr. Flores’ first season as Head Coach of the Dolphins, when he refused his owner’s directive to ‘tank’ for the first pick in the draft,”

the lawsuit alleges.

“Indeed, during the 2019 season, Miami’s owner, Stephen Ross, told Mr. Flores that he would pay him $100,000 for every loss, and the team’s General Manager, Chris Grier, told Mr. Flores that ‘Steve’ was ‘mad’ that Mr. Flores’ success in winning games that year was ‘compromising [the team’s] draft position.’ ”

The Dolphins missed out on landing quarterback Joe Burrow with the first pick, after going 5-11, to the 2-14 Bengals — who are now in the Super Bowl. Miami chooses its current quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, at No. 5.

BRIAN FLORES,      MIAMI DOLPHINS,     STEPHEN ROSS        2/3/22  

READ NEXT

Giants’ Joe Schoen adapting to everything that comes with new role

Giants GM adapting to everything that comes with new role

Leave a Reply