Legend and VILLAIN: Cops ID 3 casualties, their executioner and ‘legend’ onlooker in Indiana shopping center shooting

Good Samaritan Elisjsha Dicken (left) shot and killed Indianapolis mall shooter Jonathan Sapirman (right).

Good Samaritan Elisjsha Dicken (left) shot and killed Indianapolis mall shooter Jonathan Sapirman (right).

Specialists recognized the three casualties killed in an Indiana shopping center shooting Sunday, their upset executioner and the legend spectator who shot him dead — and probable saved endless others from being gunned down.

A couple from Indianapolis recognized as Pedro Pineda, 56, and Rosa Mirian Rivera de Pineda, 37, as well as Victor Gomez, 30, were lethally injured when Jonathan Sapirman started shooting at customers inside the Greenwood Park Mall without further ado before 6 p.m., police and the nearby coroner reported Monday.

Sapirman, 20, was likewise killed when he was shot by a lawfully furnished man who was at the shopping center shopping with his better half at that point, Greenwood Police Chief James Ison said at a public interview.

That customer, 22-year-old Elisjsha Dicken, of Seymour, shot and killed Sapirman with a gun two minutes after the firing started.

Good Samaritan Elisjsha Dicken (left) shot and killed Indianapolis mall shooter Jonathan Sapirman (right).
Good Samaritan Elisjsha Dicken (left) shot and killed Indianapolis mall shooter Jonathan Sapirman (right).

He was praised for his heroic efforts at the media briefing.

“We’re very thankful for a young 22-year-old man who stopped this violent act,”

Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers said.

“This young man, Greenwood’s good Samaritan, acted within seconds, stopping the shooter and saving countless lives.”

Elisjsha Dicken in two pictures.
If it wasn’t for Elisjsha Dicken’s quick actions in taking down the gunman, “Many more people would have died,” says Greenwood Police Chief James Ison.
Good Sam Facebook

Sapirman, who quit his warehouse job and was facing eviction from his home, entered the mall shortly before 5 p.m. and went straight into a bathroom near the food court, where he spent more than an hour preparing for the shooting, Ison said.

An hour and two minutes later, he exited the bathroom and immediately began firing a rifle at people in the food court — first striking Gomez and then the Pinedas.

The gunman also shot a 22-year-old woman in the leg. She is recovering in an area hospital.

A 12-year-old girl also received medical treatment after she was struck in the back with a bullet fragment that ricocheted off a wall inside the mall, Ison said.

Two minutes after Sapirman opened fire, Dicken confronted him and shot 10 rounds at him from a distance. Sapirman attempted to retreat into the bathroom to take cover, but was mortally wounded and fell to the floor.

The motive for Sunday’s mall shooting is still unknown to law enforcement.

Police said Dicken, who legally carried the firearm, has no military background or police training but demonstrated smart and brave instincts.

“His actions were nothing short of heroic,”

Ison said.

“He engaged the gunman from quite a distance with a handgun, was very proficient in that, very tactically sound and as he moved to close in on the suspect, he was also motioning for people to exit behind him.”

Sapirman, who had no criminal record other than minor juvenile run-ins, fired off 24 rounds from an AR-15-style rifle in the two minutes before he was taken out.

“Many more people would have died last night if not for a responsible armed citizen that took action very quickly,”

Ison said.

Police recovered a second rifle, a handgun, multiple magazines and more than 100 rounds of ammunition that were on the shooter and stashed in the mall bathroom. Officers also recovered Sapirman’s cellphone, which he tossed into a toilet in a bathroom stall.

Investigators later collected the gunman’s laptop from his apartment, which was inside an oven that was turned on to a high temperature alongside a can of butane.

The FBI is attempting to recover data from both devices, which were damaged due to Sapirman’s actions.

Ison said there is no known motive at this point in the investigation.

Relatives of Sapirman told police he showed no indication that he was violent or unstable.

The 20-year-old had legally purchased the rifle he used in the shooting in March and had frequently visited a nearby shooting range, family said.

The attack was the latest in a string of deadly mass shootings that have plagued the US and taken the lives of numerous Americans.

Mass shooters have targeted schoolschurchesgrocery stores, a Fourth of July parade and now a mall in recent months — making nearly no place safe for people just going about their daily lives.

Leave a Reply