Entertainment

Claims of “blackfishing”: Nicki Minaj Protects Jesy Nelson In ‘blackfishing’ Row

Nicki Minaj has defended Jesy Nelson against claims of "blackfishing" in her latest music video, Boyz.

Nicki Minaj has defended Jesy Nelson against claims of “blackfishing” in her latest music video, Boyz.

Blackfishing is a term used to describe a white person who takes on black cultural references in order to appear black or “cool”.
Nicki, who features on the song, declared on Instagram:

“Y’all gotta stop.”

She also said on Twitter:

“If you know someone has been suicidal from bullying in the past, why try to get a bunch of people to bully them again about something else?”

The duo went on Instagram live to promote the single.

Jesy said she was

“in a group with two women of colour for nine years”

and the issue never came up until they recorded her last video with the group, Sweet Melody.

As soon as Jesy opened up about being messaged by one of her ex-band mates, Nicki sharply interjected saying people should

“focus on your own energy.”

Boyz, which samples Diddy’s song Bad Boy for Life, obviously is Jesy Nelson’s first solo release since leaving Little Mix last year.

The video shows Jesy heavily tanned with her hair styled with wigs and braids. She put on basketball shorts and gold teeth, while singing about wanting a boy who’s

“so hood, so good, so damn taboo”.

Most people consider it wrong for white people to gain from copying stereo-typically black special qualities or traits – when black people themselves have been held back over the years for the very same characteristics.

Read more on the blackfishing row: ‘We’re not pretending to be black’

But Nicki Minaj said:

“There’s a lot of women out here in the United States that tan, get bigger lips.

“I wear straight blonde hair when I want to.”

Nicki also said that Jesy’s bandmates were only

“calling [her] out” to help their “personal vendetta” against her.
She added: “Don’t wait a decade after you’ve made millions with the person.”

Jesy smiled as Nicki Minaj referred to her ex-band mates as “clowns”. neither Leigh-Anne nor the rest of the band has responded so far.
However, Jesy later said:

“My intention is never to offend people of colour with this video and my song.
“When I was in the video with [Nicki], I didn’t even have any fake tan on. I’d been in Antigua prior to that for three weeks.

“I’m just really lucky that as a white girl, when I’m in the sun I tan so dark.

“My hair’s naturally curly, I’ve always had curly hair. I wanted to get a wig that emulated the same texture as my hair, I genuinely didn’t think I was doing anything wrong.”

In her recent interview with Vulture, Jesy stated thus:

“I’m very aware that I’m a white British woman; I’ve never said that I wasn’t.”

When prompted by Newsbeat to comment about the video, Jesy Nelson’s label Polydor was not forth-coming.
Many fans have been asking without clarification as to how this video was approved in the first place , and the rational behind the artists discussing it on Instagram live.
George Griffiths a freelance pop music critic, who was tuned in last night, disclosed to Newsbeat he found it “really chaotic”.

“I know everything is managed by PR and management to a certain degree but that did not look managed at all.

“This was to celebrate her debut single with Nicki Minaj, Boyz, and there wasn’t a lot of celebration involved.

“It took a turn for the worst and didn’t really recover. It was awkward to watch it I can’t imagine how awkward it would have been to participate in it.”

But George says that it doesn’t need to taint the previous exploits of Little Mix.

“When you see members of a pop group argue, fans kind of rewrite history. But all those great moments happened and just because this has happened now it doesn’t invalidate all the strength and the happiness The Little Mix put forward before the split.”

Jesy Nelson is obviously not the first person to be accused of blackfishing. It is on record that Newsbeat spoke to someone criticized for the same thing in 2018.

But Nicki Minaj said:

“I wear straight blonde hair when I want to.”

Nicki also said that Jesy’s band mates were only “calling [her] out” to help their “personal vendetta” against her.
She added:

“Don’t wait a decade after you’ve made millions with the person.”

Jesy smiled as Nicki Minaj referred to her ex-bandmates as “clowns”. neither Leigh-Anne nor the rest of the band has responded so far.
However, Jesy later said:

“My intention is never to offend people of colour with this video and my song.

“I’m just really lucky that as a white girl, when I’m in the sun I tan so dark.

In her recent interview with Vulture, Jesy stated thus:

“I’m very aware that I’m a white British woman; I’ve never said that I wasn’t.”

George Griffiths a freelance pop music critic, who was tuned in last night. He disclosed to Newsbeat he found it “really chaotic”.

But Nicki Minaj said:

“I wear straight blonde hair when I want to.”

She added:

“Don’t wait a decade after you’ve made millions with the person.”

However, Jesy later said: “My intention is never to offend people of colour with this video and my song.

“I’m just really lucky that as a white girl, when I’m in the sun I tan so dark.

In her recent interview with Vulture, Jesy stated thus:

“I’m very aware that I’m a white British woman; I’ve never said that I wasn’t.”