Entertainment, News, Sports

Billy Sharp: Fan imprisoned for headbutting player at end of match

Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp, pictured before the match

Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp, pictured before the match

A fan has been imprisoned subsequent to running on to a pitch and headbutting a footballer toward the finish of Nottingham Forest’s play-off coordinate with Sheffield United.

Billy Sharp, Sheffield United’s commander, was gone after his side lost to Forest on punishments.

Sharp was thumped to the ground and expected four fastens to his lip.

Timberland season ticket holder Robert Biggs, 30, conceded to attack occasioning genuine real damage and was imprisoned for a long time.

At Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, Biggs, from Church View, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, was requested to pay £500 remuneration to Sharp, £85 in costs and a £128 casualty overcharge.

He was additionally allowed a 10-year football restricting request.

‘Conscious and silly’s
Investigator Marianne Connally said the assault was gotten by cameras covering the Championship semi-last for live TV.

“Mr Sharp hadn’t straightforwardly taken part in the game. He gives off an impression of being remaining with his hands in his pockets,”

she said.

“Mr Biggs should be visible to run along the pitch. He then, at that point, headbutts Mr Sharp.

“The crown’s case is that this is a conscious and silly demonstration of brutality. It’s an attack on a worker, really in his work environment.”

Pitch invasion at City GroundIMAGE SOURCE,PA MEDIA
Image caption,

Crowds poured on to the pitch at the end of the penalty shootout

In sentencing, District Judge Grace Leong said: “The video clip proves to me that you were running towards Billy Sharp and that you dodged all the other spectators to get towards him.

“I am of the view that it was a targeted act of aggression… even if it was not premeditated.

“You must have seen him fall over but you did not stop to check if he was alright or whether he was seriously injured.”

The judge had been urged to hand down a suspended sentence on Biggs, who claimed he and his girlfriend would not be able to keep up monthly mortgage repayments if he was jailed.

But the judge said:

“Given the gravity of this offence, where thousands were present to witness it, there has to be an element of deterrence.”

The judge added the attack could have

“given rise to further incidents”.

‘Not targeted on player’

Defence solicitor Rachel Gowans said Biggs handed himself to police in the early hours of Wednesday after seeing video footage of the attack on social media.

She told the court Biggs had drunk “a quantity of alcohol” at a pub near the City Ground and “just followed” two friends on to the pitch.

Ms Gowans said: “He says that in effect he got carried away in the moment… as did a number of people. His sole intention was to get to the tunnel. He remembers running towards the players but to the left of Billy Sharp, looking at the crowd… and then running straight into somebody.

“He accepts that he has collided with the right side of the player’s cheek. It’s not targeted on the player.”

Biggs was told a separate charge of illegally entering the playing surface had been dropped.

Leave a Reply