Angry Mob beats Kenyan child serial killer, Masten Wanjala to death – police

Image caption,Masten Wanjala confessed to drugging and killing more than 10 children

Image caption,Masten Wanjala confessed to drugging and killing more than 10 children

A mob has killed in western Kenya a self-confessed serial child killer who escaped from Police custody two days ago, police say.

Read The Story Here

20  years old Masten Wanjala, was track down by villagers to a house in Bungoma town and beaten to death, they say.

Officials had set in motion a massive organized search for the escapee who admitted to killing more than 10 young boys within a five-year period.

He also revealed to drugging them and in some cases drinking their blood.

He was said to have returned to the home of his parents – who have rejected him – and was afterwards strangled by neighbors who found out he was there, an eyewitness told Kenya’s Standard newspaper.

He tried to avoid suspicious locals by moving to a nearby house, Bungoma’s police commander told the paper.

It is thought his family recognized the body, but a police spokesperson said they are still doing “basic verification” to be sure the deceased is indeed Wanjala, according to Reuters news agency.

“We are not sure how he managed to travel all the way from Nairobi to his rural home,”

Musyoki Mutungi said.

“It is the curious villagers who first identified him and went ahead to kill him even before the police could be informed.”

The mother of one of the casualties told the BBC she wanted to know reason for what he did.

“I would have loved to see him in court, so that I get to know why he did this – why he brutally killed our children and left us with pain,” Grace Adhiambo said.

The badly decayed body of her young son Brian Omondi was one of the four retrieved by police on the outskirts of the capital Nairobi in July.

Autopsy done by the government pathologist proved they had been strangled and hit on the head with a blunt object.

Questions for Kenya’s police

Wanjala murdered his first victim when he was just 16 years old, similar age to some of his victims.

He pretended to be a football coach to attract his victims to secluded areas, after which he killed them.

Sometimes he took them as captive for ransom.

The killings took happened in Nairobi, as well as areas of eastern and western Kenya.

Three police officers on duty when he slip away on Wednesday have been charged with aiding the escape of a suspect and carelessness.

Police say they noticed he had disappeared during the morning roll call. There was no sign of a break-in at the prison cell.

In a succession of tweets, the Kenyan Directorate of Criminal Investigations regretted that Wanjala did not face justice.

It said “the law of the jungle as applied by irate villagers prevailed”.

There are increasing calls for the resignation of Kenya’s police chief over the escape, which surprised the nation and and led many on social media to mock the police.

Wanjala’s murder by angry mob justice, two days later  however,  is a disastrous reminder of the deep anger, hate and bitterness that many Kenyans feel for the National Police Service.

Kenyans regarded this as an open-and-shut case, which the police carried out clumsily  and  incompetently.

Subsequent to more than three months of inquiry, Kenyans are asking why was Wanjala never taken to court to face murder charges?

It step up questions about Kenya’s judicial process – whose wheels often grind slow, and in this case, were completely broken, pulling down the hopes for justice for families of the victims.

Leave a Reply