A regular basis concertgoer at Friday’s doomed Astroworld show in Houston is suing Travis Scott and the event’s organizers over the
“predictable and preventable tragedy,” a report stated.
It’s the first in what’s anticipated to be a flurry of legal action over the fatal concert, with at least many other lawsuits so far lined up.
Manuel Souza, who disclosed he was wounded in the pandemonium at the show at NRG Park — where eight people died in a crush of bodies — accuses the rap star and promoters Live Nation and Score More of putting financial gain before safety at the 50,000-strong event, as stated by the suit.
“Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner,”
Souza’s lawyers declared in papers filed Saturday in Harris County District Court, Billboard reported.
“Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers and, in some cases, actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors,”
alleged the lawsuit, the first of an anticipated many legal filings related to the case.
Souza’s suit ripped Scott and the promoters for continuing the show even after ambulances rushed to the scene to treat dozens of wounded people.
“Eventually, due to defendants’ active decision to let the show go on, the scene devolved into a complete melee, resulting in the needless, untimely death of at least eight people and injuries to scores of others,” the document stated.
The suit claims the show was disorderly from the start, when worried fans
“breached a security gate around the park, stampeded into the premises and trampled over one another” just to get into the sold-out concert.
Throughout Scott’s performance, fans pushed the crowd forward, causing overwhelming disappointment and embarrassment to a group of twelve and leaving the eight victims dead — one as young as 14.
The suit accuses Scott and the organizers of carelessness and gross negligence and seeks at least $1 million in damages, Billboard said.
Souza’s lawyer, Kevin Haynes, In a phone discussion with the outlet Sunday, called the deadly sudden panicked rush at the show “unnecessary.
“This kind of thing is not supposed to happen,” Haynes said. “There were things that were supposed to be done that were not done.”
Neither Scott nor the promoters instantly returned Billboard’s requests for comment.
At least Noah Gutierrez, A concertgoer, has filed a lawsuit over the disaster and is being represented by Ben Crump, big-time civil rights attorney.
“We are hearing horrific accounts of the terror and helplessness people experienced — the horror of a crushing crowd and the awful trauma of watching people die while trying unsuccessfully to save them,”
Crump declared in a Sunday night statement.
Known for representing the family of George Floyd, He said he anticipates additional lawsuits will be filed in the days ahead.